5 Speakeasy Drink Recipes
This year’s latest trend in cocktails is the prohibition-era or speakeasy cocktail. The idea is to skip the average rum and coke and make a craft drink that really wows your friends. Bars catering to this trend are popping up all over the country and it’s a trend you really can bring home for your next party.
1. Watermelon Gin Fizz
· 5 cup(s) diced watermelon, divided
· 6 ounce(s) gin, divided
· 8 tablespoon(s) lime juice, divided
· 1 1/3 cup(s) ginger ale, divided
· Lime wedges for garnish
1. Freeze 1 cup watermelon for garnish. Puree the remaining 4 cups watermelon. Strain; divide the juice among 4 ice-filled glasses.
2. Top each with 1 1/2 ounces gin, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1/3 cup ginger ale. Garnish with the frozen watermelon and lime wedges. Nonalcoholic variation: Omit the gin.
· 2 oz gin
· 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur
· 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
· dash of creme de violette
· flamed lemon peel for garnish
1. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
2. Shake well.
3. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
4. Garnish with a flamed lemon peel.
3. Singapore Sling
• 1 1/2 oz gin (Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick’s, Eyc.)
• 1 oz Fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 oz sugar syrup or simple bar syrup
• 1 1/2 tsp powdered sugar
• 2 oz club soda
• 1/2 oz cherry brandy
lemon slice or pineapple for garnish
maraschino cherry for garnish
Pour the gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup and powdered sugar into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake well until cold and frosty.
Strain into a highball glass with ice.
Pour in some of the club soda.
Float the cherry brandy by pouring over the back of a spoon.
Garnish with the lemon slice and a cherry.
4. Pisco Punch
· 1 (750-milliliter) bottle pisco
· 10 ounces pineapple gum syrup
· 9 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 7 medium lemons)
· Ice, for serving
· 12 small fresh pineapple wedges, for garnish
1. Combine the pisco, pineapple gum syrup, and lemon juice together in a 2-quart container. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
2. Before serving, stir to recombine the mixture. Serve over ice and garnish with a pineapple wedge.
5. Parsley Gin Julep
· 8 parsley leaves
· 3/4 ounce(s) fresh lime juice
· 3/4 ounce(s) Basic Simple Syrup
· Ice cubes, plus crushed ice
· 1 1/2 ounce(s) gin
· 1 ounce(s) chilled club soda
· 1 lime wheel
1. In a cocktail shaker, muddle the parsley with the lime juice and Simple Syrup. Add ice cubes and the gin and shake well. Strain into a crushed ice–filled collins glass. Stir in the club soda and garnish with the lime wheel.